When Can I Enroll for Medicare?
Because Medicare serves nearly 50 million people, they have set up special times during the year when you can enroll or change your plan.
You can apply for Medicare on the Medicare.Gov website by filling out a simple online form. The entire process should take less than 10 minutes. Everything is submitted electronically, so you do not have to sign forms or go to the social security office. Of course, you can contact a Connect One Health agent to help you enroll.
The Annual Enrollment Calendar is below:
- Initial Enrollment Period (IEP): There is a six month window to choose medical coverage which begins three months before your 65th birthday and ends three months after your 65th birthday.
- Pre-Enrollment Period (October 1 – October 14): This is the time for you to explore options, look at various plans and begin consulting with an insurance specialist, if you choose.
- Annual Election Period (October 1 – December 7): This is an enrollment period when you can enroll in any of the Medicare Part C plans or any of the Prescription Drug plans that are available. If you want to change between Medicare Advantage plans, you may do so during this period.
- Annual Disenrollment Period (January 1 – February 14): This is the time of year that you are allowed to disenroll from any Medicare Part C or Medicare Advantage plan and go back to Medicare Part A and Part B. This is also the time to add or change your Prescription Drug plan. During this time, you are not allowed to change Medicare Part C or Medicare Advantage plans.
- Special Election Period (February 15 – October 14): If you need to make changes to your health insurance plan, this is the time to qualify for a SEP. The SEP is open to anyone who meets certain criteria. An example of a qualifying event would be if you moved to a location that was outside of your plan’s network. If you qualify for a SEP, you can enroll in any of the Medicare Advantage plans during this period.
- Medicare Supplemental Insurance Enrollment: With a few exceptions, you can buy a Medicare Supplemental Insurance plan throughout the year.
Questions? Call Us at 1-877-766-4448
Our dedicated agents are standing by