What happens if I did not enroll in Medicare Part B during my election period?The answer depends on why you did not sign up for Medicare Part B during your initial enrollment period. If you need to enroll in Medicare part B you will need to call Medicare at 1-800-722-1213.


  • If you are just newly 65 you may still have time. Your enrollment time is 3 months prior to your 65th birthday and extends to 7 months past your 65 birthday.
  • If you have private coverage you can sign up Medicare part B anytime you are still covered by your Employer, Union or Spouses’ Employers health plan for up to 8 months after the health plan ends.
  • General Enrollment periods occur each year and run from January 1 through March 31. When you enroll in during a General Enrollment your coverage begins July 1 of the year you enrolled.
    Penalties for late enrollment are 10% of your premium for Medicare B for each year (12 month period) that you were eligible for Medicare B but did not enroll. So for two years your penalty will be 20%.